Tuesday, January 19

Man Enough by Nate Pyle


Does our culture’s current view of masculinity match that of a biblical view? Even further, does the view of a lot of churches and Christians match the biblical view? Pastor Nate Pyle argues that they don’t, that the idea of masculinity, or manhood, has become distorted both in our culture and in our churches.

I’ve been following Nate Pyle’s blog for a while, and when I saw that he had a book out, I couldn’t wait to read it. Pyle has a great ability to voice his thoughts while still being respectful to those who he may disagree with. His discourse is honest, passionate, and kind. I was pleased to see that all of this transferred to Man Enough.


“The image of Jesus contradicts everything we are told men are to be, both by culture and by the church. We see a number of Christian books these days dedicated to helping men be ‘the warriors God created them to be,’ but very few books that exhort men to give up their authority so they can become servants. We hold up the whip-wielding Jesus for men to emulate, but very seldom do we point to the Jesus who weeps and cries out in deep emotion. We are quick to exhort men to be strong, but we rarely encourage men to embrace their weakness.” - pages 69-70

The above quote is from one of my favorite chapters, Muscular Christianity in which Pyle says that that the goal of the church should not be our modern version of hyper masculinity. In fact, I found this chapter alone to be worth reading the book. That said, the rest of the book is certainly worth the read as well. This is certainly the sort of book that I hope that many pastors will read and then pass on to their congregations. Perhaps then the church will have an improved view of manhood.

5/5 Stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment