Tuesday, January 5

House of 8 Orchids



In 1912 two brother, John and William Wade, are kidnapped in China. They are raised by master criminal, Eunuch Chang in the House of 8 Orchids, a sort of Chinese Mafia. John become one of the house’s most valuable members as an assassin and swindler. Meanwhile William develops a talent for forgery. After falling in love with a Chinese actress, William betrays Eunuch Chang and escapes from to Central China, home of fierce warlords and bandits. In order to save his brother, John must escape from Chang and find his brother before the House of 8 Orchids does.

James Thayer crafts a fast moving and intense tale. He creates a vivid portrait of mid 1930’s China and populates his novel with intense characters. I never felt like story was getting predictable, as Thayer put just enough twisters and turns in to keep me hooked.


The climax of the story was a slight letdown compared to the rest of the book, as I felt it came and went too quickly. That said, Thayer also avoided leaving dangling threads, I just wish it hadn’t felt so rushed. However, the strong characters (especially the lead) and the fast pacing made it hard to put down. I haven’t read any of Thayer’s other books yet, but now I am definitely interested in giving them a try.

4/5 Stars

I received this book free from TLC Book Tours. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment