Wednesday, July 1

John Shaw’s Guide to Digital Nature Photography



Are you a budding photographer? Does nature photography especially interest you? If so, then John Shaw has written a guide just for you. His book includes sections on gear, camera basics, composition, close-ups and more. While he often does go into some of the basics, Shaw also assumes you have at least some knowledge of cameras. Maybe you’ve ever touched a DSLR, but you at least know how to point and shoot a camera. Shaw also realizes that people reading this book may already have some DSLR experience.

Coming into this book I already have DSLR experience and enjoy photography as a hobby. I use a Canon 60D (Shaw prefers Nikon but also knows that everyone has their preference) and already had an understanding of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. Despite this, the intro sections served as a nice refresher course and in some cases gave me some insight that I didn’t have before, especially when talking about aperture and shutter priority. I had never used those settings before but am now interested in trying out aperture priority sometime.

The section on lenses was the one I found to be the most interesting. I have 3 basic lenses right now and while reading about the various types made me interested in some lenses that I had never considered before, it also made me realize that what I have suits my need for the moment.

Nearly every page features a photo by John Shaw and includes the location taken and the technical details (lens, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO). Occasionally he’ll include details on how he incorporated a specific technique, tying it into the current chapter. However this extra detail isn’t on the majority of the photos. While I understand he may not be able to do it on all of them, I wish he had been able to do it on a few more than he did.

While advanced photographers likely won’t find anything new in this book, beginner and some intermediate photographs may find it informative. I know I did.

4/5 Stars

I received this book free from Random House as part of their Blogging for Books program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment