Wednesday, June 10

Ruthless by John Rector



Someone wants to kill Abigail Pierce and Nick White is the only person who can save her. While out having drinks, Nick is approached by a woman who mistakes him for a hit-man. She gives him an envelope containing money, and flash drive, and a picture of Abigail. He decides to try to warn Abigail, but the real hit-man is on his trail. In the process of trying to save Abigail, Nick is drawn further into the conspiracy which reaches far deeper than he ever imagined.

Ruthless grabbed my attention from the first chapter and then never let go. Author John Rector crafts a strong story with plenty of twists and turns. I’m usually a fast reader but I flew through this book in two sittings thanks to the fast pace and gripping storyline.

One of the strongest elements are the scenes between Abigail and Nick. Nick is a flawed person trying to do the right thing and Abigail avoids being the stereotypical damsel in distress. Watching Nick be surprised be surprised at Abigail’s strength and tenacity added some humor and helped differentiate the story from other thrillers. The weakest element for me was the interplay between Nick and his ex-wife. While it added some more drama and resulted in some raised stakes later in the book I wish the ex-wife was fleshed out just a little bit more.

The ending of the novel was surprising but still felt realistic for the story being told. Far too often I feel that these sorts of novels either have entirely predictable endings that tie up supper nicely or an ending that comes out of left field.

I’ve never read any of Rector’s books before, but if they’re anything like this I’m sure I’d enjoy them.

4/5 Stars

I received this book free from TLC Book Tours. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

About John Rector

JOHN RECTOR is the Wall Street Journal bestselling author of THE GROVE, THE COLD KISS,
ALREADY GONE and OUT OF THE BLACK. His short fiction has appeared in numerous magazines and won several awards including the International Thriller Award for his novella LOST THINGS, many of his other stories can be found in his collection THE WALLS AROUND US.
He lives in Omaha, Nebraska.

1 comment: