Wednesday, April 29

Threshold by G.M. Ford



Detective Sergeant Mickey Dolan isn’t having the best year. Between the end of his marriage and a number of complains about use of excessive force, he seems to barely be holding on. He then gets assigned to investigate the disappearance of a councilman’s wife and daughter. Any mistakes could end up costing him his career. During the course of the investigation, Dolan meets Eve Pressman, and her daughter Grace. Grace has the miraculous ability to revive people who are comas, though she works hard to avoid being thrust into the public eye. Eve and Grace may not only know where the missing women are, but the dark secret behind their disappearance.

G.M. Ford wrote a fairly fast paced procedural with plenty of twists and turns and just the barest hint of the supernatural. For the majority of the story, I had absolutely no idea how it was going to end.


That’s the good news.

The bad news is that by the halfway point of the novel, I didn’t really care how it ended. Ford does a fine job characterizing Dolan, but the rest of the characters felt lacking to me, especially Grace and Eve. Part of this is because I found the supernatural element through Grace’s powers to be a weird distraction and it didn’t add anything helpful or interesting. The description of how the powers worked was not satisfying and aside from a little bit at the beginning didn’t play much of a practical role in the story. Sure, they were referenced now and then, but I found it more distracting than interesting.

Ford also has a bizarre way with descriptions. For example, “If, as tradition dictates, the dead deserve to be show great respect, then somebody should have made sure the weatherman got the memo because it was raining buckets as they slid [the] body down into the sodden ground. Another thirty minutes and it would have qualified as a burial at sea.” (Pages 123/124). It felt to me as an attempt to be artsy, but completely distracted from the events at hand due to the hyperbole. Later in the novel there is a random description of a terrible driver barreling past Dolan that has absolutely no impact on the plot or characters. It was a section that could’ve been completely excised from the story with no negative impact at all!

Aside from the quick pace and the fine characterization of Dolan, the one other part I appreciated was the ending. And no, it wasn’t just because it ended. I was genuinely surprised with how some of the events turned out. While I did not agree with a lot of the choices made in this novel the ending did buoy me feelings just a little bit.

All that said, I’ve never read any of G.M. Ford’s other novels before. Perhaps this style is the norm in his writing. If that is the case, I am sure his fans will enjoy this book, and I hope they do. However, this story just didn’t do it for me. If you choose to pick this one up, I certainly hope you enjoy it more than I did.

2/5 Stars

I received this book free from TLC Book Tours. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book for the tour.

    ReplyDelete