Wednesday, January 28

Sleepy Hollow: Children of the Revolution by Keith R. A. DeCandido



Set during the first season of Sleepy Hollow, between episodes 10 (“The Golem”) and 11 (“The Vessel”), Children of the Revolution tells another tale of Ichabod Crane and Abbie Mills as they work to stop the coming apocalypse. While in Patriots Park, Crane receives a vision from Katrina. Some sort of danger is brewing and Crane must retrieve the Congressional Cross that he was awarded by George Washington for his bravery. But there seems to be one problem: he died before actually receiving it and no one is sure where it is.

As Crane and Lieutenant (left-enant, that is) Mills search for the cross they learn of a coven of witches who are trying to raise their leader, Serilda (who also appeared in the second episode of the show). If the coven finds the cross first, then Serilda will be free to take her revenge.


As a fan of the show, I was looking forward to another tale of in Sleepy Hollow. Unfortunately, I do not believe that Children of the Revolution managed to reach the quality of the show.

The part I found to the strongest in this novel is how author Keith R. A. DeCandido captures the banter between Crane and Mills. It is their friendship and chemistry that I most enjoy in the show, so I was glad to see it captured well here, so I was glad to see it captured well here. However, in reading the novel, it is not quite the same as watching the performances on the TV. It isn’t the authors fault the actors could visit me to read their lines, but it still is not as fulfilling as the show. On top of that, while Crane and Mill had strongly written dialogue, I felt the other characters, including Jenny and Irving, were much more generically written and didn’t quite feel the same.

Even if all of the dialogue had been top notch, I did not find the story interesting. While there were some suspenseful moments and one very exciting one where Crane is armed with a bayonet, the rest of it felt flat to me. Characters new to the book are introduced with just enough backstory to try to make you feel sad when they die, and the supposed twist at the end was a bit too easy to see coming.

While I didn’t end up caring for it, I can see it being the sort of book that other fans may enjoy reading.

2/5 Stars

I received this book free from Broadway Books as part of the Blogging for Books program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment