Thursday, January 22

Cane and Abe by James Grippando



A serial killer is on the loose in southern Florida. He’s known as ‘Cutter,’ using methods reminiscent of Florida’s dark sugarcane cutting past. When a woman’s body is found in the Everglades and the cutter is the first suspect.  Prosecutor Abe Beckham aids the FBI in the investigation, but something isn’t right about the case. When Abe’s wife disappears, Abe finds himself in the spotlight. Did he have anything to do with it?

This is the first book I’ve read by James Grippando and I was instantly drawn into it. Early in the novel he covers Florida’s cane cutting past, which sets the stage for several events in the end. From there everything moves at a non-stop pace until the very end.

Buoyed by strong characters, Grippando crafts a compelling and exciting mystery. With each turn of the page I tried to figure out what would happen next. At times it reminded me of Gone Girl (I’ve watched the movie and haven’t yet read the book, I know shame on me), but it avoids being a complete replica of the plot and there are plenty of surprises.


Most of the narrative is told from Abe’s point of view, as he first assists the FBI in their investigation, and then as he frantically searches for his wife. His interactions with his wife and his brother-in-law are consistently strong and are some of the most interesting parts of the story.

Occasionally we are shown the actions of the FBI separate from Abe. These scenes primarily exist to call Abe’s reliability into question and to drive the plot forward. In both cases they succeed, though I didn’t find myself as interested in them as I was in Abe’s narrative.

While I overall loved the book, I felt that it left too much dangling and unresolved. There is one particular thread with a sugar cane company that kept threatening to become larger, but ended up disappearing at the end of the book. With how often it was referenced I was disappointed to not have any sort of resolution on it.

Still, this is a highly entertaining and fast read. With strong characters and a story that managed to keep me guessing, it’s one that fans of fast paced mystery/thrillers will enjoy.

4/5 stars

I received this book free from TLC Book Tours. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255


You can visit James Grippando's website for information on his other books. 

1 comment:

  1. I'll be sure to remember to not pick this up right before I go to bed - I have a feeling I'd be up all night reading if I did!

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete