Thursday, October 30

The Dunning Man by Kevin Fortuna



In his debut novel, Kevin Fortuna allows us to peek inside the lives of 6 characters through six short stories. The characters and their situations never overlap, but they’re tied together in their humanity. These characters have their own struggles, and their own problems. One of them has planned a wonderful evening with the woman of his dreams, but nothing seems to be going his way as he takes the train to pick her up. Another man struggles with tenants, all of whom are in quite strange situations.

Fortuna is a strong writer. Though his stories are short and the entire book is under 150 pages, the characters he creates are fleshed out and feel real, something which authors of 300+ page novels have a hard enough time doing. Despite the troubles the characters encounter, Fortuna also manages to weave a bit of wit and humor under the tension.


That being said, not all of the stories were equally good in my mind. Dead, Sullapalooze, and The Dunning Man were the stories that worked best for me.  Poor Jimmy didn’t really work for me at all. The other two were a mixed bag. While Fortuna’s skill is evident throughout the entire book I didn’t connect with every story or character. Though, in a collection of short stories, I feel like could be the case for others as well.

3/5 Stars

I received this book free from TLC Book Tours. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

Learn more about this book here!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that fleshed our characters can be hard for some writers who have many more pages to work with!

    ReplyDelete