Saturday, September 13

Let's All Be Brave by Annie F. Downs



Author of several books for young adults, Annie F. Downs admits that she’s not exactly the bravest person. But she realizes that there is courage within her, and hopes to show others that courage is also within them, even when they don’t feel brave. Using examples from her own life and from the Bible.

Let’s All Be Brave reads as a mash up between memoir and self-help. It’s a very conversational book and many chapters almost feel as if Annie is just sitting down and casually sharing her life story with you.

At the end though, this book didn’t really do much for me. I had a hard time with her writing style. She. Wrote. A. Lot. Of. Sentences. Like. This. I’m usually ok with a couple instances of that, as long as they are used effectively, but this technique seemed strangely placed.


Of course, I might not have noticed this if the story drew me in more. While a few of the stories were interesting or strong, I didn’t connect with much of it. I have the feeling that those who were fans of her other books, or who heard her speak, may find it more interesting than I did. Finally, I thought that she spent too much time writing about the fact that she was writing, and I didn’t feel that it contributed to the theme of the book.

I hope that you enjoy[ed] this book more than I did. It’s not a bad book, it just didn’t appeal to me.

2/5 Stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

1 comment:

  1. Found your review through BookLook...so glad I'm not the only one who had many of the same thouhgts on this book (especially about her talking about writing...that always leaves a bitter taste in my mouth!)

    ReplyDelete