Wednesday, June 25

Dear Luke, We Need to Talk. Dad by John Moe



What would the letters or journal entries look like from some of your favorite fictional characters? What if they had access to online message boards? This is the simple premise of John Moe’s newest book, Dear Luke We Need to Talk. Darth. Thrown in the mix are some real world events, such as a series of ‘proposals’ for Super Bowl halftime shows. References from The Wizard of Oz, to E.T., to Star Trek.

From the opening pages, I was ready to enjoy my evening. While the first two letter hardly elicited a gut busting laugh, they certainly made me chuckle.

Then it started getting rocky.


The crass letter from Dorothy Gale to Glinda, the good witch of the North, was jarring and unexpected. The idea of the letter itself was amusing, but the use of several curse words felt out of place. Now, I’m normally not one to go on about such content. I’ve read, and enjoyed, many books that contained such language. However, in this case it felt extremely out of place. Furthermore, based on the cover alone, I could see this being the sort of book I would pick up at the library at age 9 or 10, not at all expecting the more mature content running through it. I might’ve expected this content to come through in a letter Mad Men or The Walking Dead, but hardly from a movie than is considered family friendly. Perhaps to some this will be funny, but I did not find it so.

Content-wise, I found that to be the most jarring letter. Unfortunately, this did not mean that the rest of the book was a pleasant read. This isn’t to say that I hated it all. There were several letters throughout that caused me to chuckle again, but they were few.

Many letters held promise, but went on far too long, some of them taking 2 or 3 pages when only a couple of paragraphs would’ve been enough (such as the chapter on Pac-Man). Meanwhile other correspondences simply had a boring angle. The ongoing segment of ‘Rejected Super Bowl Halftime Show Proposals’ wore out its welcome extremely quickly.

In the end I found this to be a highly disappointing book. Fans of John Moe may enjoy it more than I did, but others may find themselves skipping around a lot.

2/5 Stars

I received this book free from the Blogging for Books program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment