Saturday, March 1

Oscar Predictions 2014



Once again, I did my best to catch as many of the nominees as I could. At the moment I’m 5/9 in the Best Picture category, though I’m seeing Captain Philips Sunday afternoon. Here are my predictions in some of the categories I’m most interested in.
The Academy Awards 2014

Best Original Screenplay
I wasn’t a fan of American Hustle or Nebraska. They had their moments, but overall I found them dull, so I’m really hoping neither of them wins this category. I thought Nebraska especially had way too much exposition at the beginning of the film.
Should Win: Her
Will Win: Her

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Should Win: 12 Years a Slave
Will Win: 12 Years a Slave

Best Editing
Gravity pretty much has this one in the bag.
Should Win: Gravity
Will Win: Gravity

Best Cinematography
Should Win: Gravity
Will Win: Gravity

Best Visual Effects
Again, Gravity has this one in the bag as well, though I’d be happy if The Hobbit won, as they did a fantastic job on Smaug.
Should Win: Gravity
Will Win: Gravity

Best Animated Film
Should Win: Frozen
Will Win: Frozen

Best Documentary
Should Win: The Act of Killing
Will Win: The Act of Killing

Best Supporting Actor:
I feel like this is a strong field this year but ultimately appears to be between Captain Philips and Dallas Buyers Club.
Should Win: Barkhad Abdi – Captain Philips
Will Win: Jared Leto – Dallas Buyers Club

Best Supporting Actress
Should Win: Lupita Nyong’o – 12 Years a Slave
Will Win: Lupita Nyong’o – 12 Years a Slave

Best Actor:
Another strong field. I can’t speak to The Wolf of Wall Street, as I have not yet seen it, but the other nominees all had strong performances, even if I didn’t always care for the film they were in.
Should Win: Chiwetel Ejiofor – 12 Years a Slave
Will Win: Chiwetel Ejiofor – 12 Years a Slave

Best Actress
Should Win: Cate Blanchett – Blue Jasmine
Will Win: Cate Blanchett – Blue Jasmine

Best Director
Gravity was a visually stunning piece of work and a heart pounding film. 12 Years a Slave was an emotionally powerful movie that displays the atrocities of slavery. Ultimately, I’d be happy if either won.
Should Win: Alfonso Cuarón – Gravity
Will Win: Alfonso Cuarón – Gravity

Best Picture
As I mentioned earlier, I was not a fan of Nebraska or American Hustle, so I hope neither wins. Though, at this point it looks like a race between Gravity and 12 Years a Slave, maybe with Dallas Buyers Club coming from behind if those two split the vote.
Should Win: 12 Years a Slave
Will Win: 12 Years a Slave

No comments:

Post a Comment