Saturday, October 26

You'll Get Through this by Max Lucado



Sometimes life just seems to beat you down: A cancer diagnoses, a death in the family, divorce, or abuse. They wear you down and you just wonder, “How am I ever going to get through this? Will I ever get through this?” If you ask Max Lucado, he will tell you that you can get through it.

Lucado illustrates his points with the story of Joseph, from when his brothers tossed him into a pit to reuniting with his family. Joseph’s life seems to spiral downward. Yet through it all he did not lose hope. He kept hoping and praying. He is never shown to grow angry or bitter at his situation.

Mixed with the story of Joseph are the stories of people who Lucado knows as well as stories about historical figures or events.  One such story is that of a woman who grew up abused and abandoned. Despite the hardships she grew up with, she now works in fighting against human trafficking.


What seems to be dark and evil circumstances can be used for good. This is the message of Lucado’s book. Each chapter drives home this point further and further. It is easily readable, as Lucado writes in a very conversationalist tone and his meaning comes through clear.

I’ve read a few Lucado book now and while I have liked some more than others, I appreciate the honesty with which Lucado writes. He writes to help others, and I think that those going through a rough time in their life. At the end of the book, Lucado includes a fairly extensive discussion guide that covers each chapter. Generally when I see discussion guides they tend to consist of a pages worth of questions. Here, each chapter gets a least a pages worth, sometimes more.

4/5 Stars

I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment