Friday, February 22

Oscar Predictions 2013




This year I made an effort to catch as many nominees as I could. Compared to past years, I feel that I did pretty well, especially in some of the major categories. Here are my picks for who I think will win, and who I think should win. I’m not including every category, only the ones I’m most interested in. Agree? Disagree? Let me know in the comments.



Best Supporting Actor
This is one of the tougher categories for me to pick. This year there are many good nominees, and they all have a good chance at winning.
Should Win: Robert De Niro. I loved his character in Silver Linings Playbook. Though, I’d also be happy if Christoph Waltz won. Both were fantastic roles.
Will Win: Tommy Lee Jones. I’m thinking Lincoln has some momentum here, and Tommy Lee Jones was great.

Best Supporting Actress
Should Win: Jacki Weaver. Really, the whole cast of Silver Linings Playbook was spectacular. I’d be happy if they all won. But, this is also the one of the categories where I've seen the fewest films.
Will Win: Anne Hathaway. I haven’t seen Les Mis, but from what I’ve heard, Anne Hathaway’s pretty much won this one already.

Best Actress:
Should Win: Jennifer Lawrence.  See above for my love of the cast of Silver Linings Playbook.
Will Win: Jennifer Lawrence. A month ago I would’ve said Jessica Chastain. After watching Zero Dark Thirty though, I was more impressed with Lawrence’s performance. She also has more momentum going into to Oscar night.

Best Actor:
Should Win: Daniel Day Lewis. What a great performance. I’d be happy if Bradley Cooper won, but Daniel Day Lewis’s performance as Lincoln outshines him.
Will Win: Daniel Day Lewis. I mean, he’s Daniel Day Lewis. Though, I guess in the year that Ben Affleck doesn’t get nominated for Best Director anything could happen.

Best Original Screenplay:
Should Win: Django Unchained. I haven’t seen a lot of Tarantino movies, but from the few I’ve seen the writing is always exceptional.
Will Win: Zero Dark Thirty. It’s not getting Best Picture so I think this one gets a consolation prize. If anything else wins though, it’ll be Django Unchained.

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Should Win: Lincoln. A wonderful historical drama that focuses on a short period of time. Despite having many long monologues and scenes of ‘talking heads,’ Lincoln still manages to be a riveting film thanks in part to the writing.
Will Win: Lincoln.

Best Editing:
Should Win: Argo.
Will Win: Argo

Best Cinematography:
Should Win: Django Unchained.
Will Win: Skyfall.

Best Visual Effects:
Should Win: The Avengers.
Will Win: Life of Pi.

Best Short Animated Film:
I had the chance to watch all of the nominees for this category, a first more me. In the past, the only time I’ve seen one is if it preceded a Pixar movie.
Should Win: Head over Heels. This was a fantastic short film. It hit all the right emotional notes and had a great premise behind it. The claymation worked wonderfully and the ending was satisfying.
Will Win: Paperman. Being a Disney product lends it a lot of weight in this category. It was good, but the emotional connection felt more natural in Head Over Heels.

Best Animated Film
Should Win: Wreck-It Ralph.
Will Win: I’m going to say Brave, because it’s Pixar.

Best Director:
Should Win. Ben Affleck (grumble, grumble). Out of those nominated, Steven Spielberg. Lincoln was fantastic and it deserves the award more than the other nominees.
Will Win: Steven Spielberg.

Best Picture:
Should Win: Argo. I loved this movie, even more than Silver Linings Playbook and Lincoln.
Will Win: Argo. I know Best Picture and Best Director usually go hand in hand, but I have a feeling that won't happen this year. Argo has too much momentum going into Sunday night.

Out of the Best Picture Nominees I’ve seen:
Beasts of the Southern Wild, Argo, Django Unchained, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, and Zero Dark Thirty.


No comments:

Post a Comment