Monday, February 20

Oscar Predictions 2012

My Oscar predictions for 2012.  Unlike last year, I haven’t seen a lot of these nominees, so some of my predictions are based on reading about them.  I’m also skipping some of the smaller categories.  Check them out after the jump.



Best Picture:
Who Will Win: The Artist.
Who Should Win: I really liked Hugo and would love if it won.
While I liked The Help it didn’t seem strong enough to be a strong contender in the Oscars.
I’ve seen: The Artist; Hugo; The Help.
Who Should’ve Been Nominated: Drive.

Best Actor:
Who Will Win: Jean Dujardin for The Artist.
Who I want to win: That’s a tough one.  I think Gary Oldman is a great actor, but I really didn’t care of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.  I also wasn’t impressed with Moneyball and didn’t think Brad Pitt’s performance was particularly good.  I’d be happy if Jean Dujardin won.  I enjoyed The Artist and did think the performances were quite good.
I’ve seen: The Artist (Jean Dujardin); Moneyball (Brad Pitt); Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (Gary Oldman).

Best Actress:
Who Will Win: I’m going out on a limb and predicting Rooney Mara for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Who I want to win: I don’t have a preference here.  Probably Rooney Mara.
I’ve seen: The Help (Viola Davis)

Best Supporting Actor:
Who Will Win: Christopher Plummer for Beginners.
Who I want to win: Again, no preference, though I did like Jonah Hill’s performance in Moneyball.
I’ve seen: Moneyball (Jonah Hill).

Best Supporting Actress:
Who Will Win: Octavia Spencer, The Help.
Who I want to win: No preference.
I’ve seen: The Help (Octavia Spenceer); The Artist (Bèrènice Bejo).

Directing:
Will Win: Michael Hazanavicius, The Artist
Who I Want to Win: Martin Scorsese, Hugo
I’ve Seen:  The Artist; Hugo.

Original Screenplay
Will Win: The Artist UPDATE: I didn't realize all of the awards Midnight in Paris has won, so I'm leaning more in favor of it, though I haven't seen it yet.
Should Win: I thought The Artist was very well written.  I have heard Margin Call was also quite good, but I haven’t seen it yet to know.
I’ve seen: The Artist. Update: Margin Call.

Adapted Screenplay:
Will Win: The Descendants
Should Win: Hugo…. I really liked this movie…
Again, I really didn’t like Tinker Tailor, and was quite disappointed by Moneyball.  Part of this is that I didn’t find the screenplays to be particularly engaging.  The characters in Moneyball weren’t all presented well, and Tinker Tailor had a lot of pacing problems.  I did like Ides of March and would be happy if that won as well.
I think this is the category I’ve seen the most films of…
I’ve seen: Hugo; Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy; Moneyball; Ides of March
Who Should’ve Been Nominated: Drive.

Cinematography
The first one I’m really unsure on…
Will Win:  The Tree of Life
Should Win: Hugo, or maybe The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (I tend to love the cinematography in Fincher’s movies)
I’ve seen: Hugo; The Artist.

Editing:
Will Win: Hugo
Should Win: Hugo, maybe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
I’ve seen: Hugo; Moneyball; The Artist

Visual Effects
Will Win: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Should Win: Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  I’d be happy if Hugo won.
I’ve seen: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2; Hugo, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Transformers Dark of the Moon.

Animated Film
No Adventures of Tintin???  While not amazing I still liked it.  And I liked it a lot more than Rango
Will Win: Rango
Should Win: ????Kung Fu Panda 2????  I feel that this category is weak this year…. I really didn’t like Rango.  It looked nice and had a few cool sequences, but it was overall disappointing.
I’ve seen: Rango.

What do you think?  Do you agree with my predictions?  Who do you think should win?

3 comments:

  1. Zach Tuttle's 2012 Oscar predictions

    My prediction:
    Best Picture: The Artist
    Want to win: Midnight in Paris

    Best Actor: Jean Dujardin
    Want to win: Jean Dujardin

    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Want to win: Viola Davis

    Best Director: Michael Hazanavicius
    Want to win: Woody Allen

    Original Screenplay: Midnight in Paris
    Want to win: Midnight in Paris

    Adapted Screenplay: Descendents
    Want to win: Hugo

    Cinematography: Tree of life
    Want to win: The Artist

    Editing: The Artist
    Want to win: The Artist

    Visual Effects: Rise of the planet of the apes
    Want to win: Rise of the planet of the apes

    Animated film: Rango
    Want to win: Rango

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it you like Midnight in Paris :) Haven't seen it yet, but it's sitting on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved midnight in paris. i walked out of the theater with the biggest smile on my face just knowing i just saw a great movie.

    ReplyDelete