Wednesday, September 7

The Betrayal by Jerry B. Jenkins


After leading the sting to bring down one of the most notorious gangs in Chicago, life should be feeling sweet for Boone Drake.  And it would, except for a minor detailing like sustaining a serious gunshot wound to his shoulder and learning that someone is suspecting his girlfriend, Haeley, of leaking classified information.  Hiring the best defense attorney Boone knows of, he is determined to prove Haeley innocent.  To discover otherwise would truly be a betrayal of the worst kind.

Those who read my review of The Brotherhood may remember that I was not too fond of the book.  Too many times it felt cheesy and I felt the Christian element felt more forced than natural.  So why did I read the sequel to a book I didn’t like?  Despite the cheesiness, the story held some promise and it certainly ended on strong note considering the rest of the story.


Unlike The Brotherhood which started slowly and had some pacing issues, The Betrayal has a strong opening and keeps up a brisk pace for the majority of the story.  One of the things that helped was that each of the major characters had strong goals.  In The Brotherhood, Drake had a goal, but the rest of the characters were much more passive.  Here they are all pursuing a goal, and that goal is much more pressing.

Though mildly predictable, Jenkins still made me feel connected to the story, which can be hard when I didn’t enjoy the first one.  Though not an amazing cop story, The Betrayal is a good improvement on the first.  If you enjoyed The Brotherhood you will likely enjoy this one, and if you didn’t like The Brotherhood, you may be surprised.

3.5/5 stars

I received this book free from Tyndale. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment