Friday, June 17

Star Wars: Knight Errant byJohn Jackson Miller

Vol. 1 - Aflame by John Jackson Miller

Aflame is the first book in a new graphic novel series from Dark Horse, set over one thousand years before Star Wars: A New Hope.  Kerra Holt is working with a group of Jedi in going behind Sith lines.    Things do not go as planned, and soon Kerra is the only remaining Jedi from a group and is stuck between two Sith brothers who are locked in combat with each other.  She has to find a way not only to avoid being destroyed by the Sith but also to help a colony on the planet she’s stranded on.

Knight Errant is the first the graphic novel I have reviewed here!  I don’t read many graphic novels, though I have enjoyed many of the few I have read.  If done well, I enjoy the visual style they can bring to the story, and that is one of the things I enjoyed most about Knight Errant.  I actually thought the story itself was pretty straightforward and actually pretty weak.  But since it was presented in more of a visual format, I still enjoyed it and made some of the more ridiculous parts a bit more palpable (including a scene where a character jumps from roof to roof….on moving spaceships).

When it comes to Star Wars stories, the millennia before Episodes I, II, and III are especially interesting, largely because we haven’t seen them in movies.  Some stories have done it well, such as the Darth Bane novels and the Old Republic series (so far) and some have added absolutely nothing (Red Harvest).  I would say this story falls in-between. I loved the story of the warring Sith brothers, but I want to know more about their feud, and I don’t get the sense that the storyline continues into future graphic novels.

Star Wars fans may find this to be not quite as strong as the Legacy series, and it definitely doesn’t hold up to the Dark Empire trilogy, but it’s still entertaining and gives a bit more of a look into the conflicts that raged amongst the Sith.

3/5

I received this book free from Dark Horse as part of Net Galley. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment