Sunday, May 15

MacArthur - a review

MacArthur by Mitchell Yockelson

Of all of the great generals in the past century, MacArthur seems to be one of the biggest. Before cracking open this book, I knew that he is one of the most famous American generals in recent history but I wouldn’t be able to tell you anything about his accomplishments, nor be able to list all of the wars he fought and led in (WWI, WWII, and the Korean War). After enjoying the biography I read on Patton last year in the same series, I decided to give MacArthur’s bio a try.

Much like Patton, MacArthur focuses largely on MacArthur’s military efforts and not much time is dedicated towards his private life except where necessary. MacArthur was a brilliant strategist and a great orator. He also knew how to keep his troops’ morale up. He tried to avoid leading from the rear, preferring to be as close to the front lines as possible.


I was most interested by MacArthur’s passion for the Philippines. Out of all of the locations he was stationed, it was by far his favorite. He developed a solid relationship with their leaders and helped the Philippines begin to set up defenses for the future. When overtaken by Japan in WWII, MacArthur wanted to focus all of his efforts on recovering it and was furious when he was ordered into another post. Being able to read these passions of MacArthur brings out much more of him than I ever learned in a history class.

4/5
I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment