Sunday, March 13

Indivisible - a review

Indivisible by Kristen Heitzmann
Something strange is happening in the small town of Redford, Colorado, something which sends Police Chief Jonah Westfall scrambling for answers.  A pair of raccoons are found dead in the nearby woods.  It is no natural death – it is not even the results of a hunter or landowner sick of them.  Examination reveals that the raccoons were knocked unconscious and sewn together.  Upon waking up they found each other to break free, resulting in a grisly death.  Jonah knows that those who abuse animals often don’t stop there, and seeks to find the culprit behind it.  Meanwhile, the town itself seems to be going through subtle changes which affect, and often rock, its inhabitants.  Jonah has to try and maintain the town’s stability while searching for a twisted hunter.


Indivisible structurally bears a resemblance to serial killer novels, only instead of human victims, there are animals.  Still, this doesn’t make the situation less disturbing.  The pace is set slower than most serial killer/thriller stories are, but Heitzmann makes sure to take time to focus on development of the characters.  The characters are well drawn out and are the strongest part of the novel.  Every main character feels real.  Their flaws seem real, not forced, and the way the interact with each other is believable.  They are what really drives the story forward.

However, one of the problems I had with the novel is that I was able to predict who the killer with fairly high certainty earlier than I liked.  Though I like being right at the end of a novel, I felt it was easy to guess, and vital clues were revealed too early, so when the official reveal came at the end, I wasn’t surprised, or overly elated that I was right.  Also, the climax was not as strong as I expected.   Thankfully, though, Heitzmann wrapped up the story both well and quickly after the climax.  I appreciate it when an author can wrap a story quickly without leaving loose ends that I want resolved.

Overall, the strong writing and characters were able to make up for the flaws in the story and the structure.

3.5/5 stars

I received this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group as part of their Blogging for Books program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255


No comments:

Post a Comment