Saturday, February 19

Oscar predictions 2011

Oscars 2011

Here’s my list of which movies I think will win big at the Oscars (or at least who I want to win).

Best Picture
:

I’m torn between The King’s Speech and The Social Network, and I’d be completely happy if either one. In the end, I think I edge towards The Social Network, which I thought was amazing on so many levels, and is my favorite movie from 2010.

In this category I’ve seen: The Fighter, Inception, The King’s Speech, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit, and Winter’s Bone.

Best Actor

Colin Firth. His portrayal in The King’s Speech was fantastic.

In this Category I’ve seen: True Grit, The Social Network, and The King’s Speech

Best Actress:

Although I haven’t seen it I’ve heard amazing things about Natalie Portman’s role in Black Swan. Though I thought Jennifer Lawrence did fantastic in Winter’s Bones, I’m pretty sure Portman’s getting this one.

In this category I’ve seen: Winter’s Bone




Best Supporting Actor:

Christian Bale for The Fighter. He capture the character amazingly. At the end of the movie there was a clip with the actual person and I was stunned at how accurate Bale’s performance was. I’d be happy if Geoffrey rush won though. The chemistry between him and Colin Firth was quite engaging.

In this category I’ve seen: The Fighter (Christian Bale), Winter’s Bone (John Hawkes), and The King’s Speech (Geoffrey Rush).

Best Supporting Actress

I really want Hailee Steinfeld to win, partially because she should’ve been considered Best Actress for her role in True Grit. However, it seems that Melissa Leo has the edge here. And though I usually enjoy Amy Adams, I felt her role in The Fighter wasn’t as strong as it could’ve been.

In this category I’ve seen: The Fighter (Melissa Leo, Amy Adams), The King’s Speech (Helena Bonham Carter), and True Grit (Hailee Steinfeld)

Best Director:

I hope David Fincher gets this one. He took a wonderful script and presented it incredibly well. Though I’d be fine with Tom Hooper winning here, I’m putting my hope on Fincher.

In this Category I’ve seen: True Grit, The Social Network, The King’s Speech, and The Fighter.

Best Original Screenplay.

The King’s Speech, hands down. I don’t think Inception even deserves to be nominated in this category – it’s probably Nolan’s weakest script, though the movie itself was well done and entertaining.

In this category I’ve seen: The King’s Speech, The Fighter, and Inception.

Best Adapted Screenplay

Another shoo-in: The Social Network.

In this category I’ve seen: The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit, and Winter’s Bone.

Cinematography:

I really want True Grit to win, but I have a feeling either Black Swan or Inception will take this one.

In this category I’ve seen: Inception, The King’s Speech, The Social Network, and True Grit.

Art Direction

I’m going with Inception on this one.

In this category I’ve seen: Alice in Wonderland, Harry Potter, Inception, The King’s Speech and True Grit (First one I’ve had 5 for 5!)

Costume Design

The King’s Speech: It seems the Academy loves historical pieces in this category.

In this category I’ve seen: The King’s Speech, Alice and Wonderland, and True Grit

Sound Mixing:

Three really good ones: Inception, The King’s Speech, and The Social Network. I feel like Inception’s going to win, but I want The Social Network to (watch behind the scenes to learn about it. Fantastic!)

In this category I’ve seen: The King’s Speech, The Social Network, Inception, and True Grit.

Editing:

Okay, Inception was completely snubbed in this category. I think it would have a great shot at winning, but wasn’t nominated. So, I think The King’s Speech is probably going to take this one, and if it does, it’s a better chance it will take Best Picture.

In this category I’ve seen: The King’s Speech, The Social Network, and The Fighter

Sound Editing:

Inception.

I’ve seen: True Grit, Toy Story 3, Unstoppable, and Inception.

Visual Effects:

Inception. That movie had some great stuff in it. I was quite under-impressed with Alice in Wonderland’s effects.

In this category I’ve seen: Inception, Alice in Wonderland, Harry Potter, and Iron Man 2

Make-up

The first category I haven’t seen any of the nominees. My random guess? Barney’s Version.

Original Song
:

127 Hours “If I Rise” – I’ve heard good things about it.

In this category I’ve seen: Tangled, Toy Story 3

Original Score:

I really enjoyed the score in The Social Network, so I hope that wins, but I’m guessing The King’s Speech (or maybe Inception) will win.

In this category I’ve seen: The Social Network, The King’s Speech, Inception, and How to Train Your Dragon.

Animated Feature
Toy Story 3. Though I’d be content If How to Train Your Dragon wins.

In this Category I’ve seen: Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon.
I’m skipping the shorts, foreign, and documentary section just because I’m clueless about all of them….Though I enjoyed Pixar’s short, Day & Night.

Which movies do you think are going to win big? Agree or disagree with my picks? Let me know in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. I agree on most of your picks. I do wish True Grit wins for best picture, even though I believe King's speech is going to take home the prize. Of course Nolan gets the snub as usual. Portman's performance was excellent and sticks in your head for a while. I agree for Hailee Steinfeld part that she needed to be in the best actress category. I really wish that How to train your dragon will win best animated feature but its obvious that Toy story 3 will win; and where is Tangled in this i thought it should be nominated? I honestly think that Animated features should be in either in the best picture or best animated feature not in both because it makes it doesn't create the competition that it should. That's all that I have to say for now we will just have to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very impressed by Tangled, though I thought the songs weren't up to par for a Disney musical. I do want to see The Illusionist to know why it got nominated.

    ReplyDelete