Sunday, January 2

Anticipated Films of 2011

I’m going to attempt a slightly different blog post than usual. Here’s a list of films that I’m looking forward this year, through August. To keep it simple, I’m going to pick one per month. I am going by the release dates as reported by IMDB. The end of the year hasn’t filled out yet, so I’ll be missing a few months at the end for now. Once release dates are in place for September – December I’ll try to remember to update this list.

January: Wow, this month looks a bit bare of good movies. I think I’ll have to go with The Rite on this one, a thriller about an exorcist. Stars Colin O'Donoghue and Anthony Hopkins.

EDIT: Terrible reviews are pouring in for this one. Sadly, I still think it looks better than the other movies released.

February: The Eagle, directed by Kevin Macdonald. February has a few more moves that intrigue me slightly, but this one does so the most. Macdonald directed The Last King of Scotland and State of Play, two movies which I enjoyed. Plus I love a good historical action film.

March: Gah! The first difficult month with five movies that I’ve been looking forward to. But the top one? Right now I’ll go Rango, though Battle: Los Angeles is a close second. I finally saw the Rango trailer and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was going to be one of those talking animals living with humans movies. Thankfully it’s not going to be. I may have to update this list though when the trailer for Apollo 18 is released…

April: Source Code. One of my favorite blogs, ScriptShadow, ranks this as their #1 spec script, so over the summer I gave it a read. While I didn’t think it was quite as amazing as they did, it was interesting. And the trailer promises a good presentation of the script. Plus director Duncan Jones previously directed Moon, one of my favorite recent science fiction movies. Otherwise, this month looks pretty weak.

May: I think I’ll have to go with Priest on this one. I’m not very excited for another Pirates film, and I don’t think Thor will be nearly as good as Iron Man. Priest at least looks like a fun action film.

June: Super 8, hands down. After J.J. Abrams handled the Star Trek reboot so well, I’m excited to see him take a shot at an original Sci-Fi movie (even if it ends up tying in with Cloverfield, I’ll still be excited.). Any other year I would probably pick the Pixar film, but I have heavy doubts about Cars 2.

July: Another difficult month. Cowboys and Aliens comes out on top though. The cast looks fantastic and based on the trailer it should have a satisfying storyline to it. Of course, I also just want to see some cowboys fighting some aliens in some western/sci fi action.

August: 30 Minutes or Less. Mainly because it had scenes shot in Grand Rapids, but I’ve also heard the script is solid. And Jesse Eisenberg was fantastic in The Social Network.

What films in 2011 are you looking forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment