Monday, November 1

Christmas Overdose

Let’s play a word association game.

First word: November. Write down the words that first come to mind. Here is what I got.
Turkey. Fall. Leaf piles. Apple cider. Fresh apple sauce. Thanksgiving. Pilgrims. Pumpkin pie. Gravy.

Please notice, I did not mention snow. Nor did I mention three wise men, or baby Jesus, or Santa Claus. For this game these are important things to take note of.

Next word: December: Write down what you think of.
Snow. Cold. Pine tree. Christmas. Presents. Family. Candy. Caroling.
Hhhm. There’s my Christmas reference. And my references to Christmas songs.

I for one, am not a fan of Christmas songs in November. I get sick of them in a month’s time. Why would I want two months? Perhaps if there were more original (and good) Christmas songs out there, I would like them better. But each December I hear the exact same songs. Radio stations play each song at least once every hour. And hearing The Twelve Days of Christmas ever hour for 25 days is probably the most painful mental experience ever. Wait, I take that back. The Hippopotamus song is worse.

Don’t agree with me? Let me see if I can persuade you.
Usually the day after July 4th is when stores start putting up Christmas decorations and sales. They use fear tactics to make you buy everything early so that you won’t forget anything. Christmas candy seems to go on sale as soon as school starts and Christmas lights are up by Halloween. This is the consumerist society we live in.

I would argue that by voluntarily playing Christmas songs early, you are aiding this consumerist society. You are telling the world that you want more Christmas earlier. This results in Alvin and the Chipmunks singing every possible Christmas song and, heaven forbid, will prompt Justin Bieber to release a Christmas album which your thirteen year old sister will blast at full volume. And I know you don’t want that.

No comments:

Post a Comment