Tuesday, September 7

Falling Away

The Falling Away
The Falling Away is the latest book by T.L. Hines and the first book of his that I have picked up.
This is the story of Dylan, a wounded Iraq war veteran and a man who ends up being in the middle of a huge conflict of good and evil. Plus, he has a past that he feels the need to escape from-run away from (a bit of obvious irony on the part of the author as the character’s full name is Dylan Runs Ahead.
Overall the story is fast paced, moving quickly through plot points and it was supported by a strong writing style. I appreciated that although it was a spiritual/supernatural thriller, Hines doesn’t try to make the book overly religious to the point where it would bog down the story.
However, one of the weaker points of the book is what I am finding to be the typical wounded war veteran character. More and more those veterans were victims of an IED in Iraq and the opening pages/chapters recount their recovery process and the pain they’ve gone through while they are beginning to be affected by deep psychological side effects. *sigh*. I will give Hines the credit of creating a well rounded character who is easy to connect with
I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com [...] book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment