Saturday, July 11

Notes from the Tilt a Whirl

N.D. Wilson’s Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl is a strange book.
I can’t really think of any way to describe it. Indeed, it resembles a tilt-a-whirl…when the ride is finished, you’re so dizzy, you aren’t even sure of what you just read, let alone if it made any sense.
There were many small bits of the book which I did like. The writing style is different than much of what I have read in the past. At points I truly enjoyed the artistry of the writing. Often times he uses strange metaphors and similes, some which were wonderful, and some which I plain didn’t get.
Throughout the whole book, Wilson writes stream of consciousness, jumping through thoughts rather quickly. Many times I felt myself lost in the images he was trying to create. Those who enjoy this style of writing will likely find it pleasant. Those who don’t may find snatches they connect with, but for the most part they will sit scratching their heads, wondering what in the world they are reading. I’m the latter.
Here’s my interpretation: At times Wilson seems to be making an argument for creation. However, I soon realized it was more than that. He isn’t arguing. Merely, he attempts to weave together a picture of a God that no one can fully understand. A God powerful enough to form a universe, and caring enough to offer his creation a chance at redemption.
However, for me it didn’t work. I didn’t always connect in the way I felt that I was supposed to. The words felt distant to me, because it hard following these thoughts. For all I know that quick summary is completely wrong. But if you pick up the book, I’ll let you be the judge. Perhaps you’ll see something I didn’t.
This book was reviewed for Thomas Nelson’s Book Review Bloggers.
2/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment